Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Bone Broth!

Okay I promised to tell you all about my Bone Broth adventure!  Remember I had to clean out my freezer and I had a bag full of tallow to cut up?  Well I also had a large bag of bones, Do you know how many bones a half a cow has?? ALOT!! So we made broth!! Yes with bones!

First we roasted the bones at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes. Then we placed them in cold water with 2Tb vinegar (to help pull vitamins and minerals from the bones) per pound of bones for 20 minutes. Then we added carrots, celery, onions, and whatever other veggies and herbs you desire and 1TB Salt and bring to a boil. Then reduce temperature to a simmer and let cook for 48 hours. I took my broth and put it in the oven at 200 degrees and let it cook the 48 hours.


This looks lovely doesn't it? Don't worry it will be delicious and beautiful when you are finished. 
After your broth has cooked for 48 hours strain with a fine mesh strainer into jars and refrigerate. The fat should come to the top and harden.  After it does remove the fat and then preserve your broth in any method you desire or just use it for soup!! 

I chose to can my broth. We made 15 pints. It tasted fabulous and it looks beautiful in my jars!! 
*Rachel Crawley*

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments so feel free to leave one!